The Michigan Chronicle presents the S.W.A.G. Awards (Students Wired for Achievement and Greatness) Scholarship program.
“Many scholarship programs are awarded solely based on academic performance, however, the S.W.A.G. awards were specifically created to ensure that more Detroit-area minority students that demonstrate leadership in multiple areas, other than grades, have access to scholarships,” said publisher of the Michigan Chronicle Hiram E. Jackson.
The S.W.A.G Awards winning recipients will be recognized and receive a scholarship grant in the Spring of 2019. Current high school seniors who are planning to attend college or a trade school in the Fall of 2019, have at least a 2.5 GPA, and have demonstrated a commitment to community, service and integrity are eligible to apply.
The S.W.A.G. Awards’ goal is to build confidence and ensure a better future for Detroit-area teens, provide a village of support for parents and educators, and together, build strong future community and business leaders.
Instructions for Application – Academic Year 2018-2019
1) Application deadline for 2019 scholarships: March 15, 2019.
2) Only completed applications will be considered.
3) Attach a current copy of your high school transcript where indicated.
4) Consideration for any scholarship award is based on a point system including GPA, participation in extracurricular activities, school organizations and community service.
5) Submissions will be judged on clarity and grammar (30%), the uniqueness of your story (50%) and your reference letter (20%).
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY. 2019 Michigan Chronicle S.W.A.G. Awards entry period starts at 12:00 AM ET on 12/12/18 and ends at 11:59:59 PM ET on 03/15/19. Open only to 12th graders who are 16 and older residing in Metro Detroit who: (a) attend a public, charter, or private high school; (b) will graduate in spring 2019; (d) have at least a 2.5 grade point average (or equivalent); and (e) are in good community standing. See OFFICIAL RULES for entry instructions, submission requirements, prizes and complete details. Only one (1) Submission per entrant. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. SPONSORS: The Michigan Chronicle and Chemical Bank.